So, you have finally moved forward with orthodontic treatment and decided the best option for you is Invisalign to achieve the beautiful smile you have always wanted.
But are you concerned you may have to give up your coffee during your Invisalign treatment?
Of course, many people have the same worry, and the answer is no. You do not have to give up coffee in exchange for Invisalign treatment.
Now that you know the good news that you can drink coffee while undergoing Invisalign treatment, you should know there are a few rules you must follow to ensure that you can drink coffee safely while not causing any harm to your aligners or your teeth.
We are here with all the information you need to tell you exactly how you can still enjoy your daily cup of coffee while achieving the perfect smile with Invisalign.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment similar to traditional braces in the way they work. However, Invisalign comes without the metal that traditional ceramic braces contain.
Invisalign provides aligner trays made of plastic that are clear in color, so it does not even look like you’re wearing braces which is the appeal of Invisalign to most people.
Your orthodontist starts the process by completing a 3D scan of your teeth, mouth, and bite. Then the Invisalign aligners are custom-made for you based on your teeth and your bite.
The movement of your teeth is done gradually through a series of different aligner trays that you will switch out as recommended by your orthodontist.
While traditional braces pull and push all your teeth to get them to their desired result, Invisalign keeps an even pressure over all your teeth, with molds only moving the specific teeth that need to be moved.
They also can be less painful for your mouth than traditional braces since no sharp edges can cut your tongue or lips.
You wear traditional braces 24/7 but can remove your Invisalign trays if necessary. Traditional braces also prevent you from eating certain foods like gummy candy or gum.
Still, with Invisalign, there are no restrictions as you can take out your aligners to consume the food, brush your teeth, and re-insert the aligners.
Invisalign is an excellent system for someone who is looking for something flexible. The trays are easily removed for drinking, eating, and brushing, but they do come with rules to ensure you take proper care of your teeth during your orthodontic treatment.
When you finish your initial appointment after getting your Invisalign placed, you’re told that you should not eat or drink (except water) with your Invisalign trays in place and that you must brush your teeth after any consumption of food or water before putting your Invisalign trays back in your mouth.
Drinking Coffee With Invisalign
If you are one of the millions who choose coffee as their first drink in the morning or enjoy a cup of coffee to provide energy throughout the day, you will be glad to know you can still enjoy your daily cup of joe.
But there are a few things you need to remember about drinking coffee (or any other liquid other than water) with Invisalign.
It is important to remember it is not advised that you drink coffee with your Invisalign trays in place.
Keep reading below to discover why you should not consume coffee with your Invisalign in place, why it is crucial, and the steps you can take to help prevent damage to your teeth or Invisalign aligners.
Why Does Coffee Stain Your Teeth?
Your teeth are covered in enamel, which is found to be the hardest substance in the human body.
Despite the strength of enamel, it has tiny pores that allow the tannins (a type of plant compound) in the brewed coffee to enter the enamel, which leaves behind stains.
Coffee also ranks very high on the acidic scale, which can lead to wearing away the enamel on your teeth over time, leading to even more stains. However, one positive is that coffee can help fight gum disease.
What Are the Benefits of Drinking Coffee
Although it can sound like a drink, you want to steer clear of it because bad coffee has some great benefits. It contains antioxidants with many health benefits, such as fighting against Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Coffee also supports heart health because consuming 3 to 5 cups of coffee daily can reduce heart disease and stroke risk.
In addition, coffee is known for providing energy, promoting and helping with weight management, enhancing athletic performance, and protecting against certain chronic diseases.
What Can Happen if I Drink Coffee With Invisalign?
Drinking a sugary drink like coffee with your Invisalign aligners still in place can lead to cavities or tooth enamel erosion.
Since the aligners fit tightly to your teeth, the aligners will trap sugar and bacteria in the trays and closely against the teeth.
Our mouths are filled with all kinds of bacteria, including both good and bad bacteria. The harmful bacteria thrive off sugar and starches that enter your mouth through food and drink.
Eventually, they cause build-up and plaque, which can lead to cavities.
Avoiding the build-up and plaque makes it crucial to brush your teeth after consuming sugary drinks and food and enjoying them in moderation.
The coffee will stain the trays and discolor them. No one wants to walk around with stained teeth, so having stained yellow or brown Invisalign trays is not appealing to most people and can be very unsightly.
The heat from the coffee can distort the plastic trays and cause them not to fit your teeth properly, therefore not working to straighten your teeth as designed.
Your teeth will not receive the correct force they need to make their movements as planned by your orthodontist.
Similar to braces, Invisalign allows you to eat or drink whatever you wish while your trays are removed from your mouth.
Things to try when drinking coffee during Invisalign treatment:
- You should permanently remove the Invisalign aligners before sipping your beverage if it is anything other than water.
- Allow your coffee to cool down before drinking it to help reduce the chance of tooth staining and damage. Allowing the coffee to cool down also helps you consume the drink quicker since you must wear your Invisalign aligners around 20-22 hours a day.
- Try to reduce the cream and sugar you use in your coffee, as they can contribute to cavities and tooth decay during the Invisalign treatment process.
- Make sure to drink lots of water. Drinking water helps to get rid of sugar, acid, and plaque that can be on your teeth.
- Choose to use a straw when drinking your coffee, whether the coffee is hot or cold. Doing so limits the amount of liquid that will touch your teeth and reduce the amount of staining that could occur.
- Before you put your aligners back in, you should brush your teeth. If you cannot brush your teeth for some reason, you should rinse your mouth with water to clean your teeth.
- It would be best if you were sure to brush your teeth in the morning, after drinks and meals, and at night. It will help if you floss at least once a day.
Coffee Stains on Your Teeth
Coffee can stain your teeth whether you drink hot or cold coffee or drink the coffee with your Invisalign aligners in or out of your mouth.
We have come up with a few tips to help you eliminate coffee stains on your teeth:
- Try to drink a lighter color coffee—the darker the coffee, the more pronounced the stains on your teeth. If you can lighten the color of your coffee, the color of the staining will be reduced. An easy way to do this is to add a little milk or creamer to your coffee.
- Keep a toothbrush and toothpaste with you wherever you go! If you are prepared, you can easily brush your teeth after enjoying your cup of coffee, which will help reduce the possibility of staining your teeth.
Some great disposable toothbrushes already pre-loaded with toothpaste available on the market are perfect for on-the-go use.
- Check out your options for teeth whitening treatments. Teeth whitening treatments can come in handy if you are already experiencing unsightly coffee stains on your teeth.
Easy products are available on the market to help reduce staining, and even great DIY at-home teeth whitening options. If necessary, you can consult your dentist or orthodontist about professional treatments.
What if I Already Drank Coffee With My Invisalign?
There is no need to worry if you already drank coffee with your Invisalign trays still on your teeth.
Drinking coffee once or twice should not cause severe damage or stains; do not make it a habit of continuing to do so.
You should brush your aligners and clean them thoroughly to reduce and prevent any staining.
If you have been drinking cold or hot coffee, you may still see staining on your teeth or trays.
If you notice your trays are stained and have an appearance you do not like, try cleaning the Invisalign aligners the best you can.
If you are still unsatisfied, reach out to your orthodontist to see if they have recommended cleaning options or can replace the current tray if needed.
Sometimes accidents happen, and you may have a drink or two with your Invisalign trays in since you forgot to take them out.
This is why we have a few tips to recommend when going out to try to avoid as much staining to your Invisalign trays, whether you drink coffee or another beverage outside of the water as instructed to be the only drink to enjoy while your aligners are on your teeth:
- If possible, keep a straw with you that is easily accessible to drink when you go out.
- Make sure to rinse your mouth with water after a drink to help clean your mouth.
- Keep a toothbrush and toothpaste with you for when you are out and about to clean your mouth correctly.
- Try to order only clear drinks to drink, so accidents do not occur.
The Bottom Line
Coffee is a drink most people love, significantly to help give them a burst of energy to take on the day, so do not fret over your cup of coffee and your Invisalign treatment.
We are sure you are glad to know you will not have to give up your beloved drink as long as you take caution and follow the rules and tips we have provided.
You are probably excited to hear about the health benefits you can receive from drinking partaking in your coffee.
Remember, if you want to enjoy and drink coffee with Invisalign, it is crucial to remember to remove your aligners and brush your teeth afterward.
If you do not have access to brush your teeth after, ensure you rinse your mouth with water before re-inserting the Invisalign aligners to clean your teeth as best as possible.