Hello, coffee drinkers! Do you like a dark, rich, and flavorful cup of coffee? If you answered yes, you should try Sumatra coffee over regular coffee.
The fact that it is naturally low in acidity is an additional benefit. Sumatra coffee is either loved or despised. But, first and foremost, what is Sumatra coffee?
It has a taste as exotic as the country from which it comes. If you’re wondering, Sumatra is an Indonesian island, and Indonesia is the world’s fourth-largest coffee-producing country.
Sumatra coffee is known for its distinct, earthy taste and flavor. These Indonesian coffees have a whole body that stands well to cream and sugar additions.
Wet hulling, an uncommon coffee processing method, contributes to the flavor. Surprisingly, nobody knows how the operation came into existence.
Some Sumatra Coffee Facts
The wet hulling process (more on that later) imparts a distinct taste to the resulting coffee. Many coffee drinkers claim that it’s filled with earthy aromas with hints of mushroom flavor on occasion.
Others comment on how creamy (and even chocolatey flavor) the Indonesian coffees are at times.
Although different coffee beans produce a range of flavors, Sumatra beans are creamy, with hints of chocolate, and filled with earthy flavors.
Indeed, even such a range of flavors won’t appeal to everyone. However, all coffee lovers and connoisseurs should try these flavors at least once.
But it also ensures that each sip’s rich and varied flavors won’t bore your mouth.
But how can you be confident you have the best Sumatra coffee beans available? You won’t have to pluck them directly from the Indonesian climate, so don’t worry.
We checked varieties of coffee beans and put together this guide to the five best Sumatran coffee beans of 2021 to make shopping easier.
Our in-depth coffee reviews compare flavor, price, roast consistency, and freshness to ensure you get the best Sumatran beans possible.
- Sumatra Mandheling Coffee is a rare Indonesian coffee from volcanic soils with a rich, heavy body, low acidity, exotic flavor, syrupy aftertaste, and earthy richness.
- Volcanica Coffee is an exotic coffee specialty retailer dedicated to supplying only the best quality coffee from volcanic regions worldwide that is visually appealing and remarkable in taste.
- Over 130 coffees are available, including single-origin, estate, peaberry, decaf, and flavored coffees. They’re freshly roasted in Atlanta, Georgia, at our state-of-the-art roasting plant.
- They use low-emission roasters to make fresh roasts on demand. The roastmasters who have earned SCA training are familiar with the complexities and delicacies of roasting various bean varieties.
- They are proud that their customers expect nothing but the highest quality and service, as shown by the thousands of 5-star ratings.
- This spicy coffee stands out like the lush Indonesian island where it was born and its processing methods. It is full-bodied, with a silky mouthfeel, lingering dried herb, and fresh earth flavors, and there is almost no acidity in coffee.
- The roasters adore changing the color of these erratic beans from dark coral green to tiger orange to deep, oily mahogany, exposing bold flavors that many of us can’t live without.
- Sumatra coffee is the cornerstone of our most special high-quality blends, and they have been proud to share it with you for over four decades.
- With earthy and herbal notes, this spicy dark-roast single-origin coffee is full-bodied and smooth. The Sumatra Single-Origin is made with beans from the Asia-Pacific region. Coffees with solid and bold flavors that aren’t found anywhere else in the world are the most popular in this area.
- When it comes to coffee, these coffee growers only use Arabica beans. Each coffee bean needs a unique combination of temperature and time to achieve its peak of mouthwatering aromas, acidity, body, and taste.
- A cup of Starbucks coffee is more than just a beverage; it’s a part of your coffee routine. It may be the beginning of a new day or a reward at the end of a long one. Be it a lazy weekend morning or an opportunity to spend time with friends, a cup of Starbucks Dark Roast Ground Coffee blends perfectly into your routine.
- This new generation of Sumatra Klatch Coffee has cacao, cedar, and bell pepper flavor notes and a touch of lavender floral notes.
- A Klatch Coffee cup is clean and healthy but still has the body one would expect from Indonesia.
- Another dark roast on our list is Klatch Coffee Sumatra. Herbal aroma and earthy notes dominate the taste profile.
- Klatch Coffee is a significant buyer of coffee from Southeast Asia. Many of their coffee blends feature it as the base note and are available as a single-origin coffee.
- This Sumatran brew has the decadent chocolate notes and entire body you’d expect from a Sumatran. Sweet breakfast treats go well with a rich taste.
- Roast whole bean Sumatra from Klatch Coffee has a smooth mouthfeel and is low in acid. This is an excellent place to start if you want to try the exotic flavors of Sumatran coffee without breaking the bank.
- Peaberries are a form of coffee cherry defect from Coffee plants. Some cherries only produce a single, more rounded bean rather than two flat ones.
- Around 5% to 10% of the harvest is usually affected by this. Many assume that using only one coffee cherry seed helps the flavor grow significantly.
- As a result, the Sumatra Gayo Peaberry exhibits many typical Gayo Peaberry characteristics, plus a few more. This coffee is grown at elevations of 4,500 to 6,000 feet.
- This Gayo Peaberry coffee has a dark herbal flavor with a tinge of cardamom and cloves. Caramel, raspberry, wisteria, and dark chocolate are among this Sumatra Gayo coffee’s other rich flavor notes.
- The beans of Sumatra Gayo Peaberry are licensed Direct Trade and Kosher. It has a smooth body and a heavy, syrupy aftertaste and is available in a medium roast. They have a crisper flavor than many other Sumatran coffees because they are wet-hulled.
- Their dark roast coffees are of the highest quality. They aim to provide you with the freshest coffee possible. Within 48 hours of roasting, everything is bagged and shipped!
- This Organic Sumatra Coffee is one of the best globally, with a rich aroma, a whole body, and a distinctively vivid, low-key acidity.
- This Sumatra coffee is fruity, soft, and full-bodied, with a rich and complex flavor profile. Their Sumatra has the least amount of natural caffeine.
- This earthy and smoky coffee is a perfect after-dinner treat due to its low caffeine level. Fruit tones that are rich and nuanced, nutty, soft, and full-bodied. This coffee is excellent for any time of day or night, but it makes a particularly delicious dessert coffee.
- Sumatra Dark Roast Organic Fair Trade coffee beans are single-origin and dark roast with a unique flavor profile!
- Cooper’s Cask Coffee is a USDA-approved roasting plant. This organic Sumatra bean has a smooth, woody earth taste with dark chocolate and cherry traces. It is a dark roast, well-rounded, rich, and smooth coffee that comes reasonably priced.
- Many Organic Fair Trade Coffee Beans are profiled, and the roast level is perfect. Each lot is cupped, profiled, and checked to ensure that it meets our high standards. They’ve spent tens of thousands of hours honing the skills. As a result, we’re sure you’ll enjoy this coffee.
- These Sumatra Mandheling coffee beans are 100 percent Arabica and come from the Indonesian island of Sumatra.
- These Dark Sumatran beans are considered one of the smoothest coffees globally, with a thick body, chocolaty fragrance, distinct earthy flavor, and spicy undertones.
- These gourmet coffee beans fit well in drip coffeemakers, espresso machines, pour-over coffee machines, French presses, percolators, and reusable coffee pods. It has a reasonable price.
- Sumatra has a rich, earthy flavor that is popular in coffee shops. This coffee is smooth and full-bodied, with a robust, dry gentle finish and a touch of baker’s chocolate.
- Try iced as a cold brew with a French press, or try the Single Origin, Decaffeinated, Blends, and Tea product lines. Look at the light, medium, and dark roasts as well.
- Expect more than a caffeine kick from these beans. Coarse, finely ground, and whole bean choices are available. Infuse your latte, mocha, espresso, or drip with maximum flavor and fragrance.
- AmazonFresh Fair Trade Organic Sumatra dark roast whole bean coffee is made from high-quality 100 percent Arabica beans that have been expertly roasted and packaged for freshness.
- Thanks to its rich, intense flavor and enticing earthy and spicy notes, it’s a coffee variety you can enjoy.
- The cup would be more enjoyable if the beans were fresh.
- AmazonFresh coffees are packed with a one-way freshness valve shortly after roasting to ensure a high-quality, flavorful experience.
- There are just a few Fresh Roasted Coffee on our list, and this type of coffee is one of them. It comes from the Utara region of Sumatra, like the other Sumatra Mandheling coffees on this list.
- It has all the rich, earthy goodness of their daily Sumatra Mandheling, plus a perfect roast level.
- A darker roast intensifies the flavors of this bean’s brown sugar, wine, and dried fruit. It has comparatively heightened exotic flavors.
- This Fresh Roasted Coffee is grown in the shade and is Fair Trade and Kosher certified.
- These beans are from Sumatra’s Lintong region. Lintong coffee beans have a flavor that is well-balanced and leaves a good aftertaste.
- This Lintong coffee is exceptionally processed; it is an aged coffee nurtured in bourbon barrels from the Sons of Liberty distillery.
- This process imparts a vanilla and caramel sweetness to the product. Woody and earthy, with a touch of tobacco, are some flavor notes.
- There’s even a taste of ripe tropical fruits in the brew. This is one of the few Sumatran coffees that can be used in an espresso machine.
- A drip, pour-over, or French Press process can also yield an excellent beverage.
- Browny Coffee has made a name amongst coffee experts on the regional and international coffee scene. They are proud to sell a wide variety of exquisite coffee items and professional services to adventurous coffee newbies and discerning coffee connoisseurs.
- From the initial selection of coffee origin and roast level method to the micro-tuning of blend proportion and cupping, each phase is carried out with care, enthusiasm, and an unwavering commitment to high quality.
- They are the most streamlined yet dynamic processing specialty coffee concept in New York, incorporating state-of-the-art brewing techniques, accessories, and allied products.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best Sumatra Coffee?
Volcanica Coffee’s Sumatra Mandheling Coffee Beans are the best coffee brands and varieties we tried. With a whole body, low acidity, and notes of chocolate, spice, and brown sugar, these are some of the best Sumatra Mandheling coffee beans.
2. Why is Sumatra Coffee so good?
Sumatran coffees are popular and good not because they have a robust and bright flavor but because they have a more subtle flavor than other coffees. While the acidity is usually lower, there are exceptions.
3. Is Sumatra Coffee Dark Roast?
The roastmaster responsible for roasting the beans has complete control over whether the coffee is a dark roast, french roast, medium-dark roast, or light roast. It can be a bright, dark, or medium roast coffee. Sumatra, on the other hand, is often darker and fuller-bodied.
4. Where to buy Sumatra Coffee?
You can buy this unique, flavorful, rich, and authentic coffee with a clean finish online and enjoy your cup of coffee.
5. What is Sumatra Coffee made of?
Sumatra coffee usually is a wet-hulled coffee. This improves the taste of the beans and also lowers the level of acidity.
6. Where does it come from?
Sumatra coffee beans are three types of beans grown in Sumatra, Indonesia, and their climate patterns. There’s a lot more to this coffee than just taste.
The range of coffees available is endless; however, Sumatra coffee is one of the most sought-after.
This coffee has a distinct flavor and texture from most other coffees, and it is more difficult to find pure Sumatra due to the lower annual coffee production.
They’re shade-grown, Fair Trade, and Rainforest Alliance certified, and they’re grown in volcanic soil at over 3,000 feet.
Volcanica guarantees 100 percent customer satisfaction and a tight Amazon inventory, so you can be sure your beans will arrive fresh- a delight for coffee enthusiasts.